The best things in life are free! Let me rephrase that, the best things in Dubai are free! In a city with a reputation for over the top luxury and labelled as the fastest growing city in the world, how can it be? Believe it or not, it is actually possible to have a great time in Dubai without spending loads of cash or in fact, anything at all! There are certain fun and thrills which come free of cost here. Check out all these awesome free things (or nearly free) to do in Dubai the next time you find yourself passing through the UAE 🙂
Discover Old Dubai
If the weather permits, we recommend you to visit the old Dubai for one of a kind experience of Dubai’s history and traditions. In just one side of Dubai, the area is called Bur Dubai, you can do all these cool things:
- Ride the Abra at Dubai Creek – A traditional water taxi that can hold around 20 people taking you between Deira and Bur Dubai. Certainly the best, cheapest (AED 1) and most authentic way to see the creek. If you want it to be a personal cruise, just ask the Abra drivers – no booking is required.
- Transport yourself to Old Arabia at Dubai Museum
- Wandering Through The Old-Style Gold And Spice Souks – Whether you’re eyeing for a jewelry in Gold Souk, looking for a different sight or smell at the Spice Souk, or maybe searching a cheap perfume to bring home, there are plenty to wander through Dubai marketplaces. You can’t have any of these things for free, of course you need to pay. But that doesn’t mean that wandering through the market costs you either.
- Stroll through historic Al Bastakiya
Tip: Best time to visit old Dubai is during the months of November to April. Wear comfortable walking shoes and bring a light jacket or cardigan. It gets cold especially at night.
Explore Dubai Mall
Since the city is known for its hottest months (June to September), we suggest you to visit the largest mall in the world – the Dubai Mall. Here are the free things to do at Dubai mall.
- Explore the underwater world and see the spectacular fishes at the Dubai Aquarium. For the complete experience of the aquarium and the underwater zoo an extra cost is applied (check this link for prices) though, the view from the outside is no less stunning.
- In the evening, watch the dancing fountain and enjoy the spectacular lighting and music added to the charm of the fountains. It runs with every 30 minutes interval starting from 7 pm.
- Beside the fountain is a perfect location for you to take a selfie with the tallest building in the world – Burj Khalifa! 🙂
Relax at the Open/Public Beach
Enjoy a fun filled day at one of the public beaches in Dubai. They are clean, safe for swimming and family friendly. It’s great to bathe watching the sun set over the ocean at the end of a long day.
- When in Jumeirah beach road, finding a taxi afterwards can be a bit challenging since it’s not within walking distance of anywhere.
- The Mamzar open beach is a perfect idea for the beach lovers to go and bask in the sun on a bright sunny morning or relax on the sands on cozy evenings.
- Head to Umm Suqeim Kite beach to watch the kite surfers in the shadow of Burj Al Arab, entrance is free, but there are limited facilities.
Tip: Visit either in the morning or late afternoon, as you don’t want to be outside when the sun is at its hottest. Get there early if you want to nab an umbrella. Mondays and Wednesdays are for women and children only in Mamzar beach park.
More Cheap Ways to Enjoy Dubai
- Experience one of the beautiful, tranquil and green parks of Dubai. It might not be the first thing you associate with Dubai, but the city boasts some of the cleanest parks. Pay AED 5 fee or less to enter a place quite different to other cities public spaces. See Filipino, Pakistani, Indian, Emirati, Arabic and European families barbecuing and playing ball games side by side.
- Be mesmerized with the beautiful setting of Souq Madinat Jumeirah which is nothing less than an epitome of class. The place offers a free visit to the visitors with the terrace giving a majestic view of the towering Burj al Arab.
- See one of the most photographed structures and the only 7 star hotels in the world – the Burj Al Arab. Certainly one of the most iconic buildings in Dubai. There are numerous viewpoints to see the Burj but one of the best is from the public beach next to it – for the ultimate Dubai shot of you on the beach with the Burj in the background.
- See varied sea species at Deira Fish market. It may not be exactly pretty and good for your nose buds, but it’s extremely impressive with all the array of seafood display in white tiled stands. Come either early in the morning or in the evening, and wear sneakers or other waterproof shoes. If you’re buying, ask to have the fish cleaned. And if you decide to buy anything, keep in mind that fish are not allowed on the Dubai metro.
What other free (or nearly free) things have you found to do in Dubai? Share it here 🙂