Visiting several cathedrals, buildings and museums in famous cities of Europe like Paris, Barcelona or Munich made us yearned for a breath of fresh air and nature. Based on travel forums, Val D’Orcia (a UNESCO World Heritage site) in Tuscany countryside would be the right choice. The place looked like something straight from a fairy tale, totally breathtaking and out of this world! To experience the beauty of the countryside, one should stay in an accommodation with an ideal location or should I say a place located in Val D’Orcia itself. It’s the most daunting task we have encountered upon planning our month long itinerary so we made sure to have the perfect accommodation – the Tenuta Santo Pietro, where we can easily explore the historic peaks and swells of the Val d’Orcia.
Getting to Tenuta Santo Pietro
With the helpful assistance of the owner himself and the very kind Mr. Giuseppe, going to the property became easier. Coming from Cinque Terre (Vernazza Train Station), it took us an almost 3 hours train ride to Siena Station (Stazione Ferroviaria Siena). Then we arranged a private transfer (cost 90 euros per way) with the property and took another hour to reach the place. We hardly noticed the time as the scenic views greeted us along the way.
Map from Stazione Ferroviaria Siena to Tenuta Santo Pietro
The family run property transported us to a historical era as soon as we stepped in. Its architecture is marked by elegant arches, wood beams and stone walls. Despite the materials and artistry of a past age, fixtures and the whole area are clearly maintained. Being situated in the middle of a broad farm with vineyards and olive trees, Tenuta Santo Pietro is certainly a tranquil oasis away from the hustle and bustle of the lively cities in Italy.
*Click photos to enlarge
The two floor villa features 12 luxurious bedrooms which are all spacious, air-conditioned with windows if you like to enjoy fresh air, marble bathrooms and multilingual TV. Each room is uniquely equipped with carefully chosen antiques and artwork. They have classic rooms with a king size bed, deluxe rooms with a choice of a twin or king size bed, family rooms with a king size bed and 2 twin beds. For a complete list of their available rooms, check here.
We stayed in a classic room which has a comfortable white spotlessly clean bed with closets and comfy chair. The room was so spacious that there so much space to move in or dance maybe. It is relaxing yet so elegant. My husband enjoys his bath time (hello, Jacuzzi!) as the bathroom has a bathtub, two sinks and shower complete with toiletries, towels and bathrobes. But my favorite would be the window where fresh air comes in and the beautiful nature view is an absolute delight.
- Public Rooms/Outside Area – There are dedicated public rooms which are spacious and well-stocked with books. Guests can simply enjoy a good book or a glass of wine here. There’s an outside living area too along with a hammock where one can enjoy the scenic views of Tuscany region.
- Pool and Garden – The property is designed to offer its guests comfort and relaxation in the most beautiful setting. Having a maintained lawn along with a lot of patio areas, we enjoyed the pool overlooking the town view one fine afternoon. The pool comes with comfortable lounges, tables and umbrellas. Imagine the sunrise or sunset with the beautiful unending hills of Val D’Orcia here 🙂
- Restaurant – The onsite restaurant serves meals made with freshest and highest quality local ingredients so you can expect that they served nothing but the best here. The breakfast which was included in the room price was so delicious and can be enjoyed in the dining room or in one of the plenty outdoor patios. Breakfast options are pastries, fresh fruits, bread, home-made chocolate croissants, granola and yogurt. They also served lunch, dinner and snacks.
*Click photos to enlarge
- Vineyards – Guests can enjoy visiting the wineries of Santo Pietro which include the local Sangiovese and Vermentino grapes, as well as Merlot. They can also arrange an onsite wine tasting or tours of other local wineries so make sure to inquire with the helpful staff.
- Olive Oil – Being rich in olive trees, the property also sell olive oil which they claimed as one of the best in the world. You can purchase it here.
Things To Do
There’s so much to see and do in Santo Pietro or in Tuscany. You can spend many days here and visit the medieval hilltop towns, wine tasting, relax in prehistoric thermal baths or bike along the famous Strada del Vino Nobile. As mentioned above, the Tenuta Santo Pietro is perfectly located for exploring Val d’Orcia. Below is a list of things to see and do here.
|Inside Tenuta Santo Pietro
· Visit wineries
· Cheese and wine tasting
· Cooking classes
· Weddings and events
|Nearby Santo Pietro
· Visit the medieval town Pienza or Muntepulciano
· Cheese making at Cuqusi
· Truffle hunting in Crete Senesi (seasonal)
· Visit antique wine cellars in Montepulciano and Montalcino
· Shop at Italian designer luxury outlets
|Other Activities/Excursions They Can Arrange
· Explore Val d’Orcia and ride a vespa or hire a car (arrange it days before you arrive as they get fully booked fast)
· Go antiquing at the Arrezzo Antiquarian Fair held the first weekend of every month
· Explore Etruscan tombs in nearby Cortona
· Watch local artisans create one-of-a-kind gifts from wrought iron and pottery
· See the world famous Palio horse races in Siena
· Biking at Strada del Vino Nobile
· Trip to the local thermal baths
· Ride in a hot air balloon
Staff and Service
From the reservations, exchange of emails, private transfer arrangement, the moment they received us until we leave the place – we must say that everything has been taken care of. Something we really admired with this property was their enthusiasm about the place. Mr. Giuseppe picked up and dropped us from the train station. He even dropped us to the nearby town of Pienza one afternoon! He explained everything about the town, the shortcuts, nearby places to visit, made his local recommendations and all! We really admired this man. We barely believed he’s the owner as it’s our first time meeting such a humble and very kind person like him! He’s not only kind to us but to all his guests and staff. His staff especially Valdson has only good words to say about him. The hospitality, professionalism and kindness of Mr. Giuseppe was clearly acquired by all of his staff. We felt very at home with the treatment we received from these guys, thank you so much!
Rates range from 145 to 245 euros per night. For an updated details, click here. The standard check-in time here is from 3pm to 8pm. Also you can book the entire property which includes a house cleaner, gardener and a cook.
Our mini getaway in Tuscany countryside was one of the best memories we have for this month trip. Having to stay in Tenuta Santo Pietro made the holiday much easier because of its perfect prime location. One doesn’t need to leave the property as everything was already there especially the beauty of the Val d’Orcia. The added bonus such as the laid back room and facilities where we enjoyed the stunning views, delicious food and undeniably friendly service especially of the owner himself made the stay experience more fun, comfortable and worth keeping. We would definitely recommend Tenuta Santo Pietro for those who want to have a perfect Tuscan Val D’Orcia experience.
Tenuta Santo Pietro Inn and Farm
Address: Localita’ Santo Pietro, 29, 53026 Pienza, Siena, Italia
Tel/Fax: +39 (0578) 754151
Mobile: +39 333 992 9601 (EU) | +1 (617) 240 0887 (US)
*We stayed as guests at this property, but as always all opinions are entirely our own.