From Madrid we traveled to its neighboring city – Barcelona, where we stayed for 2 nights at the TOC hostel. Upon entering the hostel, I thought we mistakenly entered a luxury hotel! The urban architecture and chic ambiance are the first things you will notice at TOC. Let us prove you that luxury feels doesn’t need to be expensive.
Check in was very smooth and any requests were responded to with ease. Staffs here are warm and very knowledgeable about Barcelona. While the vibe is informal and laid back, there is no doubt that this is a highly professional set up like WIFI login is done through Facebook. The property is made up of clean lines and marvelous interiors, wooden staircases, ornate ceilings, tiled floors that certainly adds to the vibrant and unique character of the hostel. They claimed to have the perfect accommodation suited for your needs and budget. And we couldn’t agree more! 🙂
Rooms & Suites
The TOC is great not only for couples like us but also for families or group of friends. They have suites for 2 or 4 and bunk rooms that can sleep up to 8 people. You can choose how much privacy and space you want. Stylish, modern and spotlessly clean are the things we immediately notice upon entering our room which uses a fingerprint system to open. Our room is a Suite for 2 where we have reading lamps and closet on each side, a small work desk, 40” TV with international channels and a private bathroom with complete shower amenities. The best thing about this room apart from the modernity and cleanliness is the beautiful balcony where we have a glimpse of the city every morning! 🙂 AC is also controlled in our room but we haven’t used it as it was cold during our visit. We had the best sleep in their ultra-comfortable bed!
- Continental Breakfast – A basic but perfectly fine breakfast is available and is good value. The continental breakfast spread is available to guests who have booked for it. Breakfast was more compared to the one we had in Madrid. It consists of cold meats, cheeses, breads, donuts, muffins, cereal, coffee, juices and more. Every part of the hostel was taken care of and pleasant as even the breakfast setting was minimalist and unique.
- Functional Kitchen – They have a spacious and functional kitchen that guests can use to prepare their own meals complete with microwave, toaster, kettle and more.
- Fast Wi-Fi – Connection was fast, strong and accessible in all areas of the hostel. All we did was get the login details from the reception.
- Bar and Lounge Area – Apart from the appealing bar for beers and cocktails, they have a spacious lounge area with comfortable long chairs where you can chill and relax. You can also play pool, cards and board games. There’s a projector screen too showing the latest videos and sports news. The bar, lounge and kitchen areas sprawl across an entire light-filled floor.
- Outdoor Terrace with Swimming Pool – If chilling inside is not your thing, you can opt to spend time in their outdoor terrace where you can sunbathe, chat or relax in. Did I mention that there’s a swimming pool too?
- Laundry Room – With an inexpensive cost, you can do your laundry at the hostel. Perfect for those who are traveling Europe for months.
- Computers, 24/7 Market and Book Store – There are two available computers available for use, a 24/7 open market where you can buy your needs and a book store where you can exchange or buy books.
Staff & Service
I must say that we’re thoroughly impressed by the staff here. From the warm greetings of Valentina who was very charming and speaks English very well (which is rare in Barcelona) at the reception to the breakfast wait staff, to those who are in the bar and terrace – everyone knows how to interact and professional. They are even more helpful and more accommodating when we asked the places to visit in the city. The staff of this charming hostel goes beyond their way to make us feel comfortable and just enjoy our time. Thank you so much guys!
The TOC Hostels & Suites in Barcelona is conveniently in the Eixample district, very close to some of the most important monuments of the city and surrounded by shops, bars and restaurants. It is very close to public transports like Universitat Metro Station, taxis and buses though you don’t really need that. The hostel is nearby to the main streets, like Plaza Cataluña, Paseo de Gracia, or Las Ramblas and if you prefer to enjoy your day at the beach, it only takes 10 minutes by bus.
Below are the nearby attractions to see if you are staying in TOC hostel. All places listed here can be visit by foot in less than 20 minutes. It’s not all the places we’ve been to in Barcelona, I’ll be sharing a detailed guide with Google maps, walking directions, timings, everything that would be helpful when we completed our month long travel.
Google map directions here.
Plaça Sant Jaume – 18 mins.
Barcelona Cathedral – 3 mins.
Palau Reial Major – 1 min.
Sinagoga Major de Barcelona – 4 mins.
Plaça de Sant Felip Neri – 2 mins.
Basílica de Santa Maria del Pi – 3 mins
Google map directions here.
Las Ramblas – 15 mins.
La Boqueria Market – 6 mins.
Plaça de Catalunya – 9 mins.
Casa Amatller – 9 mins.
Casa Batlló – 1 min.
Casa Milà – 7 mins.
Sagrada Família – 19 mins.
Google map directions here.
Plaça Reial – 18 mins.
Santa Maria del Mar – 11 mins.
Parc de la Ciutadella – 7 mins.
Port Vell – 17 mins.From TOC to… (see map here)
Plaça d’Espanya – 19 mins.
Palau Nacional – 17 mins
Jardí Botànic de Barcelona – 16 mins.
Despite the hotel feels and facilities, the price of staying in TOC hostel is inexpensive. The 2 bed suite cost € 161 per day plus breakfast € 12, free WIFI. Bunk beds cost € 40 – € 60 per day. The price depends on the season. We stayed in a high season so definitely it will be cheaper on low season. You better book earlier in their website as they provide an additional discounted price for early birds.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay experience at TOC hostel. Everything was of high standards and quality – modern & unique designs facilities, comfortable and clean facilities, fine breakfast, friendly and professional staff, plus the fact that it’s near to the main attractions of Barcelona made it to our top list of accommodation to recommend when in the city. Luxury feels doesn’t need to be expensive guys! 🙂
TOC Hostels & Suites
They also have in: Madrid and Seville
Address: GRAN VÍA DE LES CORTS CATALANES, 580, 08011 BARCELONA
Phone: +34 93 453 44 25
Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
*We were guests of the hostel, but as always all views and opinions are entirely our own.