For an expensive city like Florence, finding a budget accommodation can be a challenge so when we found a hostel in a central location with the facilities of a luxury hotel– Turkish bath, a gym, steam and sauna room, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, pool bar, rooftop terrace, we jumped with joy! It’s like hitting a jackpot with its affordable price and fancy amenities! PLUS Florence is certainly not an average hostel.
With mostly young backpackers checking-in, a welcoming lobby with a happy young crew – we instantly felt a little younger than our age! :p That being said, you can tell this hostel exudes with a young and energetic atmosphere. Consisting of a lot of areas where socializing is tremendous, the PLUS hostel is clearly a favorites among travelers and locals.
All rooms in PLUS are ensuite meaning you have a private bathroom. In building B, we stayed in a standard triple room which feature all that we need – a comfortable double bed with an extra single bed where we only placed our things, secured lockers, air conditioning, ensuite bathroom, a desk, hairdryer, wardrobe, and a small TV. Towels, toiletries and bed linen are also included. Beds come with a reading light and also a power socket to charge your gadgets. Our room and the bathroom are spacious, clean and tidy. It’s worth to mention too that they’re using a card in opening their rooms. Very much like of what you can find in a hotel.
You can opt to book a twin, triple or quadruple room with their standard room. While with the dormitory style rooms, they have a female only room, rooms with 4, 6 or 8 beds which comes with bunk beds or a mixture of bunk beds and single beds. And if you fancy you can have their luxury superior room with double or single bed.
- Outdoor and Indoor Swimming Pools – Every summer the outdoor pool is open for guests who want to tan under the sun. Best thing? The pool bar! While the indoor pool which is the first time we saw in a hostel is available on winter so whatever season you visit Florence, there’s a place to relax in PLUS. You can also have a Turkish bath, steam and sauna Talk about relaxing while socializing.
- Opera Bar and Restaurant – Another outstanding facility in PLUS is their very own bar and restaurant situated at the basement. They served Italian food like pizza and pasta in a very affordable cost.
- Rooftop Terrace – Our favorite facility in PLUS was perhaps the breath taking views of Duomo from the rooftop terrace. Imagine the sunset here, oh so perfect!
- Ensuite Bathroom – As mentioned above, all rooms comes with a private bathroom which is very convenient for guests.
- Buffet Breakfast – From 7-11 am, the hostel offers a buffet breakfast for €7 which is a bit costly but offers a variety of options. Beans, bacon and mushrooms are some options that we only found in PLUS hostel.
- Gym – They also offer a gym which may not be the most spacious in size but still consider an added luxury for the price of this excellent budget hostel.
- Laundry – On site laundry facilities are available.
- FREE WIFI – The internet connection was superb anywhere in the hostel. They also have computers if you need one.
- Reception Services – Apart from the fact that you can check-in anytime as the reception is open 24/7, the staff were really helpful and provide guest with a free map of the city. They can also book for your tours and excursions to Cinque Terre or Amalfi coast.
- Common Areas – They also have a spacious common area with complete amenities like a kitchen, vending machine and books.
- Free Linen and Luggage Storage – Bed linen is included in the price. You may also store your luggage in their storage facilities if you check in early or after check out. Just ask the helpful staff.
Staff & Service
The staff of PLUS hostel are absolutely friendly and more than willing to help you. They are so committed not only with their jobs but with the city. We clearly see their enthusiasm about Florence which is really amazing! From the reception, the bar, pool area and the housekeeping who changed our room into a spotlessly clean space after a day of exploring – everyone we met here are warm and nice. A highly motivated team is something this hostel has that made them one of the best hostels we’ve ever stayed. Thank you so much guys!
In the heart of Florence just out of the hustle and bustle of the tourist city, PLUS hostel is accessible to the whole city, with the Duomo area about a 10 minute walk away. Also it is a 10 minute walk to Firenze Santa Maria Novella train station. PLUS Florence is perfectly situated right in the center of the Renaissance city.
Below are the nearby attractions to see if you are staying in PLUS Florence hostel. It’s not all the places we’ve been to in Florence. I’ll be sharing a detailed guide with Google maps, walking directions, timings, everything that would be helpful very soon.
Google map directions here.
Russian Orthodox Church of the Nativity – 5 mins.
Fortezza da Basso – 9 mins.
Mercato di San Lorenzo – 8 mins.
Palazzo Medici Riccardi – 5 mins.
Giardino della Gherardesca Garden – 16 mins.
Great Synagogue of Florence – 8 mins.
Google map directions here.
Florence Baptistery of St. John – 13 mins.
Giotto’s Campanile -56s.
Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore – 1s
Basilica of Santa Croce – 11 mins.
Palazzo Vecchio – 11 mins.
Piazza della Signoria – 1 min.
Ponte Vecchio – 4 mins.
Pitti Palace – 5 mins.
Piazzale Michelangelo – 23 mins.
Google map directions here.
Basilica di San Lorenzo – 10 mins.
Medici Chapel – 2 mins.
Santa Maria Novella Square – 7 mins.
Mercato del Porcellino – 13 mins.
Depending on the season and type of room, when I checked for May 2017 dates you can have a bed for €36 per night in an 8 bed mixed dorm. While with the private standard triple room that we stayed cost €98 per night. If you’re 3 people sharing then it’s still relatively cheaper. I would suggest you to book directly on the hostel website for a lesser price as compared with third party booking sites.
Overall we find PLUS Florence to be a good recommendation to our fellow travelers especially those who are looking for a budget stay with top notch facilities and excellent service. It is very rare to find a hostel with such hotel-like facilities. The indoor/outdoor pools, Turkish bath, pool bar, onsite restaurant and the rooftop terrace with a panoramic view of the city are the plus points in PLUS Florence.
Plus Hostel Florence
Other Branch: Prague, Berlin, Rome, Venice
Address: Via Santa Caterina D’Alessandria 15 50129 Firenze, Italy
Phone: +39 055 628 6347
Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
*We were guests of the hostel, but as always all views and opinions are entirely our own.